Why this course?
This high value one-day course will:
- Pay for itself many times over
- Show you how to purchase Wi-Fi networks and services that WORK
- Show you how to cut CAPEX by 30% on average
- Explain the key stages of professional Wi-Fi network procurement
- Help you understand the jargon of Wi-Fi networks and other types of wireless systems
- Enable you to understand more about Wi-Fi networks than the sales people you encounter
- Enable you to explain why almost every supplier’s WiFi Site Survey is unfit for purpose
- Enable you to select the best supplier for your needs
- Help you to put in place a meaningful and enforceable contract with your supplier
- Put you in control of purchasing
- Show you how to spot the Wireless Security Danger signs – how to know immediately if you are vulnerable
If you or your organisation are buying, replacing or managing Wi-Fi networks – you need this course.
Training Course Objectives
On completing this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the key stages of successful Wi-Fi network projects
- Know more about Wi-Fi than the salesperson in front of you
- Avoid the 12 major pitfalls that sabotage most Wi-Fi network projects
- Define cutting-edge specifications for your future Wi-Fi networks that will guarantee their success
- Enter into contracts with suppliers that put YOU in control
- Understand Wi-Fi network Planning, Design, Survey, Procurement, Installation, Configuration, WCC-PIAS™ / Validation, Monitoring, Management, Metrics, Support and Troubleshooting
- Understand the key terminology used in modern Wi-Fi networks
- Understand the 5x Cs of Wi-Fi network design
- Understand the Strengths and Weaknesses of the major Wi-Fi vendors/manufacturers
- .. and much more ..
Who should attend this course
- Everyone with an interest or responsibility for procuring or managing fit-for-purpose Wi-Fi networks and services – and reducing CAPEX by up to 30%.
Experience in IT procurement or management is helpful but is not necessary.
Lifetime Post-Course Support
After completing this training course, delegates receive lifetime post-training support from LEVER Technology Group, to help them apply the technologies and skills they have learned with us, to provide career-long support, and to ensure they are better equipped for their future roles in IT and networking.
Training Course Content
WiFi Purchasing Seminar, UK Content
- Please note that we use the common Internet search term “WiFi” in addition to the correct term “Wi-Fi”
Introduction to WiFi Networking
- The Wireless Network industry
- Wireless LAN manufacturers / vendors
- Wireless LAN applications
- Wireless terminology
- Standards Organisations
- International regulations for WiFi and other wireless technologies
- The IEEE 802.11 family of (WiFi) standards
- IEEE 802.11, 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11ac, 802.11ax
- Wi-Fi Alliance standardisation
- Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA)
More WiFi and wireless technologies
- IEEE 802.11h, i, e, k, r, s, u, v
- WiGig – 802.11ad
- White-Fi (TVHT) – 802.11af
- Wi-Fi HaLow (S1G) – 802.11ah
- Wireless Peer-to-Peer networking
- 802.11 Ad Hoc WLAN concepts
- Mesh WiFi networks
- Wi-Fi Direct
- Apple AirDrop
Understanding Wireless Basics
- The basics of radio waves
- RF channels and channel reuse
- RF spectra: S1G, 2.4GHz, 5GHz, 24GHz, 60GHz
- Radios and antennas
- Data rates and ranges
- Common sources of RF Interference
- Unravelling WiFi jargon ..
Wireless Bridge Links
- Understanding Bridging
- How can you save money by using Wireless Bridge Links?
- How to assess the viability of wireless links
- Budgetary costs
- City wireless networks
- Smart Cities
Defining Your WiFi Network Requirements
- How do we determine the requirements of WiFi users?
- The most important issues when planning a WiFi deployment
- WiFi network specifications – why most companies get it wrong
- The importance of fit-for-purpose Specifications
- The definitive WiFi RF Network “Coverage” Specification
- Definitive Capacity Planning
- Expressing your requirements
- Making your requirements contractual
Assessing Enterprise WiFi Vendors
- Who are the major WiFi product manufacturers?
- What are their product ranges?
- How do they compare?
- Tough questions to ask your suppliers
- What to look for in a supplier
- The bidding process
- The different types of wireless network attacks
- How serious are the threats?
- Danger signs – how to know immediately if you are vulnerable
- Understanding WiFi Protected Access (WPA)
- WPA Personal
- WPA Enterprise
- What is 802.1X/EAP?
- What is RADIUS / AAA authentication?
- How do we implement AAA?
- Wireless Intrusion: Detection versus Prevention
- What you need from a wireless Intrusion Prevention System (WIPS)?
- How do we ensure wireless endpoint security?
- WiFi security auditing
WiFi Network Management
- Why is WiFi network management such an important issue?
- What needs to be done?
- What are the challenges when managing WiFi networks?
- How to manage WiFi networks and services for maximum availability and performance
Site Surveys, Design and Implementation
- Why the term “Site Survey” is an oxymoron statement
- Why every supplier’s WiFi Site Survey is probably unfit for purpose
- Understanding the process of Wireless network Planning and Design
- Coverage requirements
- Capacity requirements
- Security requirements
- What are the different types of wireless site survey?
Training and Support
- Why is training required for wireless network support?
- What skills will my wireless network support team require?
- What training will my IT staff require?
- What are the most common problems and support issues with WiFi networks?